Skip to main content

Po Leung Kuk Museum

Donate Now!




Commemorative Stone of the Opening of Sheung Wan HQ


  • Between 1896 and 1932, the headquarters of Po Leung Kuk was located on Po Yan Street in Sheung Wan.
  • A commemorative stone was laid on the former HQ at its opening ceremony, but the stone was left behind when the Kuk relocated to Causeway Bay. The original site was returned to Tung Wah Hospital.

  • In 1956, when the building was demolished by Tung Wah Hospital, the commemorative stone was rediscovered and returned to Po Leung  Kuk. The Board of the Kuk saw the stone as an invaluable cultural item and ordered the stone to be installed in a newly built pavilion.

  • The commemorative stone originated from a 19th century public building in Hong Kong was inscribed bilingually and possesses great historical value.

  • In 2019, the Po Leung Kuk Museum had completed the conservation of the stone. The stone was restored to its original state by cleaning and re-applying red paint.


  Return to Po Leung Garden